lottery sd gov


Our offices are open, however, for the safety of our visitors and employees we are requesting you call and make an appointment to meet with us. Some of our staff continues to work remotely and we want to make sure we have the proper coverage to assist with your questions and to provide assistance.

You can reach us:

  • Chat – our online portal is located in the orange circle in the lower right corner on each page of our website,
  • Phone – 1.800.829.9188
  • Virtual Office Visit –schedule an appointment to speak with one of our business tax agents

Each of the options are available during our normal business hours, Monday thru Friday 8:00-5:00 PM CST.

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

You’ve got questions; we’ve got answers. See what others are asking SD DOR.

Business Tax

If you have questions specific to business tax, they may be answered by emailing business tax directly at [email protected]

Are the Revenue offices taking walk-ins to help with tax filings?

Our offices are open to appointments only. Please contact us through our chat app on the DOR website at or by telephone at 1-800-829-9188.

With the recommendation that many businesses restrict allowing customers inside the establishment, am I able to deliver alcohol to my customer’s home?

The only licensees that may deliver alcohol outside of the licensed premises are off-sale package liquor licensees (PL) that also have an off-sale delivery license (PD). If you are unsure if your current license(s) allows delivery of alcohol, please call us at 1-800-829-9188, or email us at [email protected]

With the recommendations that bars and restaurants restrict allowing customers inside the establishment, am I able to sell alcohol to go?

You may be able to sell alcohol at your licensed premises for off-premises consumption if you have the appropriate license. The following licensees may sell the alcohol they are authorized to sell for off-premises consumption:

  • On/Off-Sale Malt Beverage and South Dakota Farm Wine Licensees (RB)
  • On/Off-Sale Wine & Cider Licensees (RW)
  • Artisan Distiller Licensees (AD)
  • Farm Winery Licensees (FW)
  • Microbrewery Licensees (MB)
  • Microcidery Licensees (CD)

On-Sale Liquor Licensees (RL, RR, CL) may not sell alcohol for off-premises consumption. If you are unsure if your current license(s) allows you to sell alcohol for off-premises consumption , please call us at 1-800-829-9188, or email us at [email protected]

I have an alcoholic beverage license. Can I accept alcohol orders and payments online?

Yes, as long as the transfer of title to the alcoholic beverage occurs on your licensed premises.

If I am an alcohol manufacturer such as a brewery, winery, or distillery, can I restructure my business to produce hand sanitizer?

Yes, under South Dakota law the production of alcohol for use in hand sanitizer is an industrial use and not under the same regulatory structure as the production of alcohol for human consumption. You may need to check with Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) to see if there are federal restrictions.


If you have questions specific to lottery, they may be answered by emailing lottery directly at [email protected]

I have a winning ticket that is more than $100. How do I claim my prize?

If players have a winning ticket that is more than $100, they should claim their winning prize by visitng a validation center or by signing the back of the ticket and immediately submit the ticket along with a claim form by mail. The claim form and instructions can be found at . While validation centers are open, we will require all visitors and staff to abide by social distancing guidelines set by the CDC. Please be sure to follow the instructions located on signage at each location.

Motor Vehicle

If you have questions specific to motor vehicle, they may be answered by emailing motor vehicle directly at [email protected] or by contacting one of our motor vehicle departments directly. Please see our contact page for further resources.

What type of online services are available to me in regards to my vehicle?

Our online services allow you to review and renew your vehicle registration/decals and license plates, purchase new license plates, opt-in for email renewal and general notifications, find out the estimated renewal cost of your vehicles, report the sale of a vehicle, and print a seller’s permit. Annual license renewals can be done online through the Vehicle Registration & Plates portal at

You can also renew your vehicle registrations in less than five minutes by visiting a license renewal kiosk. A vehicle owner can navigate through the easy touch screen (voice assistance available) with a valid South Dakota driver’s license, South Dakota identification card, or if a company, the information provided on its renewal notice. Once the payment has been submitted and the transaction is completed, the license renewal tags and vehicle registration are dispensed directly from the machine. To find your nearest DMV Now License Renewal Self-Service Kiosk, please visit

My vehicle’s registration was due in March, but I was unable to renew. Will I be penalized?

The Highway Patrol, as always, will continue to enforce the traffic laws as required. At the same time, troopers are given officer discretion on whether to issue or not issue citations or tickets depending on the circumstances. Please contact your local police department and sheriff’s office if you have further questions.

March 2020 registration renewals for noncommercial and commercial vehicles expiring on March 31, 2020 will be given an additional month to renew their registrations by May 1, 2020 without accruing interest by the Motor Vehicle Division.

If my county office is closed, how do I submit paperwork for a vehicle I recently purchased?

Although most county offices have reopened, we recommend you call them to see how best to submit your paperwork. You can find your local county treasurer’s contact information here.

How can I renew my registration with the county offices being closed?

If you have a valid South Dakota Drivers License or Identification card you can renew online at or at one of our kiosk locations If you do not have a valid SD Drivers License or ID, you will need to contact your local county treasurer to renew.

Are late fees and interest on title applications going to be waived due to this pandemic?

Yes, information can be found at If you have questions regarding the waiver, please contact your local county treasurer’s office here.

What system and browser is best for using to renew online?

You should use a Windows based computer and Google Chrome for the browser. Our site is not currently compatible with Apple products or mobile devices.

What are the password requirements for

Your password needs to have a symbol, a number and an uppercase letter and be at least 8 characters long.

The South Dakota Department of Revenue is your online resource for taxes, vehicle registration, audit information and much more.