How to Play PowerBall
PowerBall draws take place every Tuesday and Friday evening, offering you the chance to win jackpots that can reach more than R100 million. Discover the latest PowerBall results, as well as information on how to play and the prizes you could win.
PowerBall draws are scheduled for approximately 21:00 on Tuesdays and Fridays, with ticket sales closing 30 minutes before each draw. To play, choose five numbers between 1 and 50, plus a PowerBall number between 1 and 20, with the aim of matching your numbers to the winning ones drawn in the lottery. Here is how to enter PowerBall through a retailer or online:
- Open an online lottery account and deposit funds into it.
- On the first board, choose five numbers between 1 and 50, then one PowerBall number from 1 to 20.
- Repeat for as many boards as you would like to play.
- Select how many draws you want to enter.
- Confirm and pay for your entry.
- Visit any authorised lottery retailer and collect a PowerBall betslip.
- If you would also like to enter PowerBall Plus, check the вЂњPowerBall PlusвЂќ box at the top of the slip.
- Starting with board A, mark five numbers between 1 and 50 in the first grid, and then mark one number between 1 and 20 in the second grid. You can also opt for a random set of numbers by checking the “Quick Pick” box.
- Do the same for as many boards as you want to play.
- Choose the number of draws you would like to enter by marking one of the boxes at the top of the betslip. You do not have to do this if you are entering just one draw.
- Take your betslip to a retail assistant and pay for your entries.
- Write your name on the back of the receipt you are given.
PowerBall entries cost R5 per board, with the supplementary PowerBall Plus game costing an additional R2.50. There are other ways to play PowerBall, including through your cell phone and even through certain participating banks. Visit the How to Play section to find out more.
Prizes and Odds of Winning
You must match all five numbers and the PowerBall to win the jackpot, but you can win a prize even for just matching the PowerBall on its own. The table below shows how many numbers you need to match to win in each prize division, as well as the odds of winning:
|Prize Division||Numbers Matched||Odds of Winning*||Percentage of Prize Pool||Average Prize
for the past 365 days’ draws
|1||5 + PowerBall||1 in 42,375,200||70.73%||R48,716,545.91|
|2||5||1 in 2,230,274||5.19%||R205,365.70|
|3||4 + PowerBall||1 in 188,334||3.25%||R18,056.36|
|4||4||1 in 9,912||5.51%||R1,061.84|
|5||3 + PowerBall||1 in 4,280||6.23%||R513.54|
|6||3||1 in 225||5.19%||R22.12|
|7||2 + PowerBall||1 in 299||3.9%||R22.01|
|8||1 + PowerBall||1 in 57||Fixed R15||R15.00|
|9||PowerBall Only||1 in 35||Fixed R10||R10.00|
|* The overall odds of winning a PowerBall prize are 1 in 18|
The prizes in the eighth and ninth division are fixed at R15 and R10 respectively. The prizes in the upper seven divisions are pari-mutuel, meaning each division receives a percentage of the total Prize Pool. Fixed prizes are paid out first, with the remainder of the Prize Pool divided between the seven other divisions according to the percentages in the table. The value of a prize in these divisions can vary, depending on how many winners there are and how much money is in the Prize Pool.
Do you think youвЂ™ve won a PowerBall prize? Visit the How to Claim page to find out more about claiming prizes, whether you played online, with your bank or through a retailer.
Find out more about PowerBall in the frequently asked questions below. Visit the general FAQs page for more information about playing lotteries in South Africa.
The winning PowerBall numbers are drawn at approximately 21:00 every Tuesday and Friday.PowerBall draws take place every Tuesday and Friday evening, offering you the chance to win jackpots that can reach more than R100 million! Find out more here.
How to Play
Play America’s favorite game! With multi-million-dollar jackpots that increase with each rollover, POWERBALL ® offers players the chance to win BIG for just $2 per play. Match all 5 white balls and the Powerball to win the jackpot! Match just the 5 white balls and win $1 million! Players who add Power Play ® for an additional $1, can win $2 million for matching the five white balls or multiply their other non-jackpot prizes by 2X, 3X, 4X, or 5X. When the advertised jackpot is $150 million or less a 10X multiplier will also be added. So remember Florida, you have to THINK BIG TO WIN BIG!
To play, pick up a POWERBALL playslip at an authorized Florida Lottery retailer. Each playslip contains five panels (A-E), allowing you to play up to five plays (one play per panel). In each panel:
- Select five numbers from 1 through 69 in the upper play area, or mark the QP (Quick Pick) box and let the terminal randomly pick some or all of your numbers.
- Select your Powerball number from 1 through 26 in the lower play area, or mark the QP (Quick Pick) box for the terminal to randomly select your Powerball number.
- To multiply your non-jackpot prizes, select the Power Play box. Power Play costs $1 more per play. Please Note: The Power Play box applies to all panels and Quick Picks played on the playslip.
- To play the same numbers for more than one draw, select the number of draws you want to play in the Advance Play section of your playslip or tell the retailer how many advance draws you wish to play. Read more information on Advance Play.
- Mark the JACKPOT COMBO box for a $2 POWERBALL ® , a $2 FLORIDA LOTTO ® with XTRA and a $2 MEGA MILLIONS ® Quick Pick ticket for the next available draw date.
- Review your selections carefully. POWERBALL tickets cannot be canceled.
- Give your completed playslip and payment to the retailer ($2 per play for POWERBALL, or $3 per play for POWERBALL with Power Play). You will receive a ticket printed with your numbers, draw date(s), and indicating whether your ticket is a Power Play.
- Check the official drawing results to see if you’re a winner! Draw results are available on this web site, at authorized Florida Lottery retailers and at (850) 921-PLAY (7529). You may also watch the drawings online.
Drawings are held Wednesday and Saturday nights at 10:59 p.m., Eastern Time. Tickets may be purchased until 10:00 p.m., Eastern Time, on the night of the drawing. Tickets purchased after that time will be for the next drawing.
If you claim a prize on a winning Advance Play ticket before all of the draws on the ticket have occurred, you will be issued a continuation ticket for the remaining draws with the same play numbers as the original ticket.
Please remember: All prizes must be claimed within 180 days of the applicable drawing date. All prizes must be claimed in the state where the winning ticket was sold.
Power Play is an add-on feature that allows players to multiply their non-jackpot prizes, for just $1 more per play! With Power Play, players can win $2 million for matching the five white balls or multiply his/her other non-jackpot prizes two to five times when the advertised jackpot is over $150 million, and up to 10 times when the advertised jackpot is $150 million or less. A player must choose the Power Play option on his/her POWERBALL playslip or tell the retailer that he/she wishes to purchase a Power Play ticket. The multiplier number will be selected just before the draw.
On Jackpots up
to $150 million
*Jackpots start at $20 million and roll over until won. The jackpot prize will be shared among jackpot winners in all POWERBALL states. All non-jackpot prizes are set payouts. If funds are insufficient to pay set prizes, non-jackpot prizes maybe paid on a pari-mutuel basis and could be lower than the amount shown.
Prior to the official POWERBALL drawing conducted by MUSL, a Power Play multiplier number (between 2 and 5; 10 is included when the advertised jackpot is $150 million or less) is selected and will be displayed during the draw, in which five out of 69 numbers (white balls) and a Powerball number between 1 and 26 (red ball) will be drawn at random. There are nine ways to win POWERBALL prizes by matching the winning numbers drawn in the official drawing for the date played. Match all five numbers plus the Powerball to win the jackpot or match any of the non-jackpot-winning combinations to win other great cash prizes!
All POWERBALL prizes are set payouts, except the jackpot. The jackpot prize will be shared among winners in all POWERBALL states. The jackpot will be paid in 30 annual payments or a one-time cash payment of a reduced amount. If there is no jackpot winner, the money in the jackpot pool rolls over to the next POWERBALL drawing.
All POWERBALL prizes must be claimed in the state where the ticket was purchased. POWERBALL prizes must be claimed within 180 days after the winning drawing date. Federal income taxes will be withheld from POWERBALL prizes as required by the Internal Revenue Code at the time payments are made. Any additional federal, state and/or local taxes shall be the responsibility of the winner. Prizes of up to $1 million may be claimed at a Florida Lottery district office. Prizes of more than $1 million must be claimed at Lottery Headquarters in Tallahassee. Read more about claiming Lottery prizes.
© 2021 Florida Lottery, All Rights Reserved.
Must be 18 or older to play.